Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stash-Buster #12 - V-day Potholder I

There's this darling gal, Shari, over at Lauren's Closet.
I have a special affinity to Shari for many reasons, as you will see from her blog. Shari is especially at the the forefront of my mind, at the moment, as Shari has Little Bugs of her own and she is in Louisiana and that is where #6 (Little Bug) was recently accepted to Grad School!
 Looks like Little Bug will be attending Tulane University for a Masters in Public Health!!! 
Yay! 
So proud!

So back to the business at hand:

Shari has inspired me to make V-day potholders from her post here.
I love the way she combined fabric and crochet.
As I have mentioned before, I do not get along with the sewing machine all that well, but we are trying to work out our issues, so I gave it another go with this:
Matches the kitchen dishes, eh?
and...
there are two faces to this mirror:
It's reversible!

It's good for me to use potholders, especially as trivets...
so that I don't do this again:
Yup, that's it: a burn mark in the white Formica.
It's been filled in with a little Kilz spray paint primer; that worked well, can't even see  it. haha. ;-)
Yes, I do still love my white Formica, weird but true, it has served us well, no plans to replace it.
It has also worked well as a blog photo backdrop.
These trivets will prevent this from happening in the future AND disguise the mark in the present. 
The potholder/trivet is made with 12 dc in a ring to start and increase by 12 each round.
(i.e., 2 dc in each dc for the first round for a total of 24, then round two in 2 dc, 1 dc repeat, and then round three is 3 dc 1 dc repeat etc. to 7 rounds total, sc edge.)

I hope you are enjoying your week of love!
Thank you Shari for the great idea!

Stash-busting with 91 other stash-busters! 
WOW!!!
 Linda and Ana have really started something good.
The cotton stash is about 80% finish-i-ode!

18 comments:

  1. How lovely and such a good combination. I have seen another potholder crochet/fabric combination on another blog and I really liked it. It's a wonderful idea. Really love the Heart. Beautiful!

    Thanks for sharing, Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see more of this combination, Erika. I like the combination too! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Lovely as always Astri you have such good idea's. It looks perfect for one who is not at home with the sewing machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Linda. Thanks for checking it out. Have a grEat day!

      Delete
  3. Love the combination of crochet and fabric and I have a thing about gingham hearts anyway so this ticks all the boxes of satisfaction big time! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and you are kindred...crochet, fabric and gingham, it just doesn't get better than that!

      Delete
  4. Très bien l'association de tissu et de crochet, riche idée !! Joli travail, j'aime beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Domi. Can you believe I pulled out the sewing machine?...one day a lesson from you in France, I hope. :-)

      Delete
  5. Cute, cute, cute. I remember seeing Shari's post. I don't sew at all but do love the mix of fabric and crochet. Congrats to your grad student. I lived in Louisiana for many years. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Aren't you the sweetest!!! Thanks so much for mentioning my post on my potholders. I love how you were able to get more creative with them then me!
    Have a lovely week!
    Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love them, and although I am not good sewing I am definitely gonna try it :)

    Thanks!

    Lluisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love these potholders...and the match perfectly with your kitchen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic, love the potholders. Actually love all the dishcloths etc I have seen here and now has me on a roll lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute potholders ! So creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks to me like you and the sewing machine get along better than you think.... :)

    These are SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ich habe eben deine wunderschönen Blog entdeckt.
    Die Idee ein kariertes Stoffherz in der Mitte drauf zu nähen
    finde ich einfach klasse.

    Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz
    Irene

    ReplyDelete